I started researching the best ways to use salt to provision minecraft servers. I wrote a salt state formula for the vanilla minecraft server deployment. The deployment worked out great so I decided to try my luck with plugins.
In order to use plugins and mods we need to use a customized server package. I decided to try provisioning a craftbukkit server and quickly noticed something was very wrong. Vanilla Craftbukkit (with no plugins) produces very high load and CPU usage.
Here is a chart for proof. The spike is when I stopped the vanilla minecraft server and started the craftbukkit minecraft server: